Monday, January 4, 2010

Ringling Bros Cockatoo Float

I once worked, and trained, at one of the most amazing shops in the world. Hagenbeck Wallace. Never heard of it? Most people haven't but this one small shop was what I consider the most efficient production facility on the planet. HW's sole purpose was to construct floats and props for Ringling Brothers Barnum and Baily circus, Disney on Ice, and other Kenneth Feld Entertainment venues. This is where I took my first "lumps" and learned from some of the greatest men and women a young guy could hope for. HW was my school.







This Cockatoo float was the first project given to me as a whole. I helped weld the frame, install the motor and drive mechanism, and then I carved it. It was really a cool piece. The bird would rise up and spread it's wings as it drove around!

I found that large scale was my forte'. I fell in love with foam flying everywhere to achieve a larger than life figure. I still think that way.


In part two I'll post the finished piece.